Get Involved Collaborative: A Multi-State Approach to Increasing Volunteer Engagement
Arizona public libraries are encouraged to take advantage of a great opportunity made available through a Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program award from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. The purpose of the Get Involved Collaborative project is to increase the use of skilled volunteers in public libraries. The project uses a scalable matrix collaboratively developed with an IMLS Planning Grant to replicate the California State Library's successful Get Involved: Powered by Your Library initiative. The project will run from Nov. 1, 2016 - Oct. 31, 2019.
AZ Get Involved Volunteer Engagement Institute
Dates: August 22 – August 24, 2017
Location: Hassayampa Inn, Prescott, AZ
Address: 122 East Gurley Street, Prescott, Arizona 86301
Application Deadline: May 15, 2017
This training is for library staff who work with volunteers in their libraries. Participants will come away with tools and resources that will enable them to take their volunteer programs to the next level. Those who are new to volunteer management will develop the necessary foundation to begin successfully recruiting and engaging with volunteers.
By the end of this 3-day hands-on training, participants will gain skills in:
- Addressing the needs and interests of today’s volunteer
- Utilizing skilled volunteers at the library
- Identifying what motivates volunteers
- Designing volunteer job descriptions
- Targeted volunteer recruitment
- Ensuring the right “fit” for each volunteer and volunteer job
- Screening practices and interviewing volunteers
- Getting staff buy-in for volunteer engagement
- Successfully using VolunteerMatch
Get Involved Resource Clearinghouse
Learn from your public library colleagues who are creating effective volunteer engagement strategies, tools and practices that will keep you from re-inventing the wheel! Search the database of Get Involved resources and enhance your success in volunteer engagement.
- Management Tools, Policies, and Handbooks
- High Impact Volunteer Position Descriptions
- Training Materials, Videos, and Tutorials about best practices
- Professional Photos related to position descriptions
Every library outlet/branch can request a free Premium VolunteerMatch subscription
To assist public libraries in recruiting and engaging high-skilled, high-impact volunteers, “The Get Involved Collaborative” will fund premium Volunteer Match subscriptions for all Arizona libraries. During the first week in February, VolunteerMatch sent out account invitation emails to Library Directors or their designees. Step by step instructions were included in that email and support is available to assist. If you did not receive an email invite and would like to set up your account, please contact VolunteerMatch at [email protected] or Donna.
As a reminder, our VolunteerMatch partnership includes:
- A BRANDED WEBPAGE – see below for more information about the Get Involved Hub
- FREE UPGRADED MEMBERSHIP IN VOLUNTEERMATCH AT THE “COMMUNITY LEADER” LEVEL
- CUSTOMIZED TRAINING AND SUPPOR
1. A BRANDED WEBPAGE (Get Involved Hub) is ready to promote Arizona libraries as centers for civic engagement and great places to volunteer. Your library’s’ website will be able to link to it using the website widget. Potential volunteers will be able to find this page either from the state library’s website or directly from your library website. When they enter their zip code, the page will automatically highlight both library and literacy volunteer opportunities by showcasing them in highlighted boxes. Other non-library volunteer opportunities in that zip code will appear in a separate box on the page.
2. FREE UPGRADED MEMBERSHIP IN VOLUNTEERMATCH AT THE “COMMUNITY LEADER” LEVEL for Arizona libraries for three years of the initiative. The tools provided in this upgraded membership will enhance your ability to recruit volunteers, increase visibility of the volunteer opportunities you list on VolunteerMatch, and expand your ability to build stronger relationships with volunteers.
3. CUSTOMIZED TRAINING AND SUPPORT is being developed to assist libraries to get the full benefit from these tools.
Introductory Webinar - Transform Your Library with High Impact Volunteer Engagement: Join the Get Involved Collaborative!
The Get Involved Collaborative proposes to increase the use of skilled volunteers in public libraries using a scalable matrix collaboratively developed with an IMLS Planning Grant with the goal of replicating the California State Library’s successful Get Involved: Powered by Your Library initiative. The Project will run from Nov. 1, 2016 - Oct. 31, 2019. Join the state library agencies of Arizona, California, Idaho and Texas as they describe a recently-funded joint IMLS grant that will help you recruit, engage, and retain skilled volunteers. Learn about the benefits the grant can bring to your library and how easy it will be to join the Project!
As part of a four state collaborative including California, Idaho, and Texas, Arizona is the recipient of the FY2016 Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program award for the project "The Get Involved Collaborative: A Multi-State Approach to Increasing Volunteer Engagement." This project is supported by the Arizona State Library, Archives & Public Records, a division of the Secretary of State, with federal funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services RE-40-16-0114-16..