In 2000, the foreign-born population of the United States was 31.1 million people, or 11.1% of the total population (census.gov). The same year, Arizona’s foreign-born population was 13.4% (0.9 million)--above the national average. Although nobody could disagree that the immigrant population was growing, there was much debate over what impact immigration had on Arizona’s economy and communities, and whether this impact was good or bad. In particular, illegal immigration across the state’s southern border was a major concern for ordinary citizens, state government, and the media, sparking debate and legislation.
Read About It
- Two women holding a sign at a SB 1070 demonstration, April 22, 2010
- Letter to Governor Hull, October 22, 1999
- Letter to Governor Hull, November 9, 1999
- Printout of an e-mail to Governor Hull, July 1, 1999
- Copy of a letter from Governor Napolitano to U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, October 21, 2004
- Copy of a letter from Governor Napolitano to U.S. Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales, February 3, 2005
- Copy of a letter from Governor Napolitano to U.S. Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales, June 27, 2005
- Copy of a letter from Governor Napolitano to U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey, March 17, 2008, re: funding for State Criminal Alien Assistance Program
- Letter to Governor Hull, January 3, 2000, re: immigration
- Group of people holding signs at SB 1070 demonstration, April 22, 2010
- Police patrolling the crowd at a SB 1070 demonstration, April 23, 2010
- Line of police at a SB 1070 demonstration, April 23, 2010
- Which countries do legal immigrants to the United States come from? Which countries do illegal immigrants come from?
- What attitudes do the people who wrote the letters above display towards immigrants and immigration? What evidence do they offer to support their attitudes?
- Did you or your family immigrate to the U.S.? Why? If you were born in the U.S., did your ancestors immigrate to the U.S., and why?
Visit the websites below to learn more. Based on this new information, have your answers to the questions above changed?
- Profile of Selected Demographic and Social Characteristics for the Foreign-Born Population, 2000
- Profile of Selected Demographic and Social Characteristics for the Non-U.S. Citizen Population, 2000
- Executive Order Establishing the Arizona-Sonora Border Security Council
- Southern Arizona project to mitigate environmental damages resulting from illegal immigration and smuggling: fiscal 2006 end-of-year report