The Arizona Capitol Museum relies on our dedicated volunteers and loyal members for external support for new exhibits, special events, and activities. We do not charge for admission, programs, or facility use. General operating expenses are covered by state funds through the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records, a division of the Secretary of State. Help us grow by supporting the museum.
Different Ways to Volunteer
Volunteer opportunities are varied. There’s something to match your interest and expertise.
Help make the museum a welcoming place by greeting visitors, providing information about the museum, and offering directions. Museum Ambassadors staff the front desk and educate visitors on the museum floor.
Special Event Volunteers
Greet museum visitors, provide directions, distribute brochures, and assist staff with setup and cleanup at special events. Opportunities can occur at any time, including nights and weekends.
Special Project Volunteers
Research and develop exhibits and education materials. Organize our collection and assist in processing artifacts.
Greet and assist visitors with merchandise, provide information about the museum, and help staff with daily Museum Store operations.
Assist administrative staff with general office duties, museum mailings, and data entry.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Professional orientation and training on Arizona history and government
- A supportive climate where volunteers can perform and grow
- Previews of new exhibits
- Regular social events to meet with peers
- 10% discount on all store purchases
Students can earn college credit while learning about leadership, volunteer engagement, exhibition preparation, community education, civic engagement, and Arizona government history. Internships are tailored to a student’s educational and professional goals. Responsibilities may include:
- Serving as a Museum Educator
- Interacting with visitors on the museum floor
- Staffing the information desk to support visitors
- Working in the museum store
- Helping plan, implement, and manage special museum events
- Supporting the Museum Guild with special projects
- Supporting the Virtual Experience Manager in expanding social media
- Increasing outreach and community engagement
- Working with the Collections Manager to preserve Arizona History. Become involved in all aspects of collections management.
If you'd like to apply to be an intern at the AZCM, please email your resume and cover letter in .doc or .pdf format to the Capitol Museum.